Upcoming Winter/Spring Classes
GROW YOUR OWN FOOD SERIES
GROW YOUR OWN FOOD SERIES (Part One-Vegetables): Do you believe in eating locally? Wondering if you can actually grow your own food in the Wood River Valley? Join us for this hands-on series and eat food out of your own garden this summer!
This series is a collaboration of the Sawtooth Botanical Garden and the Sustainability Center lead by:
Dick Springs: master gardener and proprietor of the Sustainability Center
Merrily Eckel: farmer and special friend of the Sawtooth Botanical Garden.
Classes are on Tuesdays, 6-8 pm :
- January 22, PLANNING YOUR GARDEN (Part I) and ORDERING YOUR SEEDS: How to plan and organize your garden. Find out what will work in your garden and order the seeds.
- February 5, PLANNING YOUR GARDEN (Part 2) and BUILDING A RAISED BED AND COLD FAME: Bring your garden plan to this class. We will go over your plan and help you fine tune it. We will also teach you how to build a raised bed and turn it into a cold frame!
February 19, SOIL BLOCKING-STARTING YOUR COLD SEASON SEEDS: This will be a hands-on class…making soil blocks and planting your broccoli, chard and other cold season seeds to get a jump on summer!
- March 5, PREPPING YOUR BEDS and SOIL IMPROVEMENT: Composting and getting the beds ready to plant.
- March 19, GROWING TOMATOES: The wonderful and rewarding world of tomatoes … yes, in the Wood River Valley!
- April 2, SOIL BLOCKING-STARTING YOUR WARM SEASON PLANTS: Now is the time to start all of those warm season seeds: squashes, corn, peas ...
- April 16, WEEDING, WATERING AND FERTILIZING: It needs to be done … learn what works the best in our environment.
- May 7, BUILDING A ROOT CELLAR AND YOUR OWN CHICKEN COOP: A root cellar will be handy in the fall for storing produce for the winter. Chickens are handy too … producing eggs to eat and fertilizer for your vegetable garden!
- May 21, DIRECT SEEDING AND TRANSPLANTING … NO-TILL GARDENING: We’ll wrap up our series today and send you on your way!
Remember: those who have signed up for the whole series will have access to our instructors and their wealth of gardening information throughout the summer!
If you have any questions call the SBG at 726-9358, or come by and see us at The Center.
We offer seasonal classes on:
We collaborate with the Sawtooth Botanical Garden and other local partners to offer you a coordinated range of classes and workshops.